Creativity has eluded me lately. Something about living with parents in the town I thought I’d moved away from and house hunting full time has left me drained. So I’m falling back on my tried and true methods for getting inspired.
1. Change tools. Put away the paints for a day and break out the markers. That way you can’t help but do something new.
2. Sketchbooks. Look through starts of ideas and unfinished works. I’m a sucker for books of illustrated journals like An Illustrated Life and Drawing from Life.
3. Feed off others. Catch some live music or a poetry slam. Take a class or go to an open studio. Find creativity in action.
4. Idea lists. Return to lists or notebooks where you wrote down previous ideas that you haven’t had time to follow up on.
5. Go outside. Look around with fresh eyes and notice that red bush against the yellow house. Listen to the rhythm of the car alarms and feel how your feet press into your shoes. Be present.
How do you get inspired?